Saturday, December 11, 2010

As a mom, it tears me up when one of my girls is sick.  Today it would be my 12 year old who is not feeling so hot at all.  Headache, fever, stomach ache, sinus congestion, cough, phlegm etc.

So, Mom put together an herbal tea concoction just for her.  For her headache - Feverfew; Fever - Yarrow; Stomach ache  & sinus congestion - Plantain. For her cough and any respiratory, plus phlegm, I added a cherry bark cough syrup I made, for flavor and herbal contents of Thyme, Marshmallow and Peppermint oil extract, all in a cup of hot water.

It's now 3:30 p.m. and she was only awake for maybe an hour between 1 and 2 p.m., drank the whole cup of tea, ate just a bit of chicken noodle soup and is now sawing logs on the couch.

The cherry bark is slightly sedative and helps the body 'rest', which aides in it's self-healing.

It blesses me to know that God knew what he was doing when he created the 'Plants of the Earth' and that he gave me the insight in to their value and worth. 

It blesses me even more that I can give this to my children.

update:  I'm happy to say that my daughter woke up a couple of hours after this post, no fever and hungry.  I fed her the 'garlic' soup I cooked up for her (which we took out the eggs and poured the, now, 'herbal' chicken broth in to a cup of soup, chicken noodle soup she had left over from earlier (and had poured most of the broth out (we put it in the dog's food, the cat ate it ... go figure).  A couple of hours later, still no fever and her appetite increasing, now wanting more 'solid' foods.  It's now 1:18 a.m. and she is 'finally' going back to sleep after hours of 'disney' shows (which I have to admit, I'm addicted to as much as she is ... but only when she's home ... really)

Between the herbal tea and syrup, the soup, plenty of rest and lots of TLC, she's doing so much better.  Still a bit weak, physically,  but another day of rest and more of Mama's Teas and she'll be as good as new for school first thing Monday morning ... :)

I'm going to add Astragalus to the tea blend, as it helps aide in recuperation from illness.

No comments:

Post a Comment